Soil is the foundation of any grazing enterprise and healthy soil is critical for optimal water use and pasture production. The key to soil health is carbon. Grazing animals and the microbes associated with their digestion are the only organisms that can cycle carbon. So it should be no surprise that grazing animals are critical to soil health.
This program will cover the key elements of soil health and demonstrate how to improve all aspects of soil health and water use efficiency using grazing livestock.
- Soil chemistry and understanding your soil tests
- Soil physical characteristics, make best use of your rainfall
- Soil biology, its importance for soil health
- Nutrient cycling and productivity
- Soil carbon and soil water
- Monitoring methods as indicators of soil health
- Using grazing animals to improve soil health